unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanks for all the WRITING

My eldest son looking at my new grand daughter Charlotte (4 days old).


Hello, Hello, Hello

Firstly again I would like to thank again all the wonderful people who write on their blogs and share with me. It helps - it really helps. I have changed the quote on my home page. Have a read above. I would like to add to this quote  - BLOGS - and not just books.

I am currently reading a book that I came across while reading a blog that sent me to a U Tube video on Sustainable Street Projects. I decided to read the book after seeing a short video of the author speaking. Now without that one person sharing on their blog - and I cannot even remember who or when - I would not have this wonderful book in my hands. I believe the universe wants me to read this book. And when I saw the quote that I have written above I just had to share it as it sums up exactly how I feel. I am absolutely amazed at the knowledge and the skill and the passion of this author I am currently reading and also the blogs I read that move me daily and help me get through some difficult moments. I don't write about each and every thing - who can - we would be on the computer typing our hearts out all day every day. But I do want to acknowledge and show my appreciation to authors everywhere.

Now the book is called "BLESSED UNREST - How the Largest Movement in the World Came into Being and WHY NO ONE SAW IT COMING" and is written by Paul Hawken. You can look him up on his website. This is one highly intelligent man who I find makes me think. I like being made to think. I will comment more on this book as I finish it but I would just like to point out that you all - readers and writers alike - are part of this movement. Here is a small bit taken from this book just to give you an idea of what the author is saying.
Maybe the best way to understand the future implications of the movement's daily actions is to remember Emerson's moral botany: corn seeds produce corn; justice creates justice;and kindness fosters generosity. How do we sow our seeds when large, well-intentioned institutions and intolerant ideologies that purport to be our salvation cause so much damage? One sure way is through smallness, grace, and locality. Individuals start where they stand and, in Antonio Machado's poetic dictum, make the road by walking. Thoreau insisted in Civil Disobedience that if only one man withdrew his support from an unjust government, it would begin a cycle that would reverberate and grow. For him there were no inconsequential acts, only consequential inaction: "For it matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever."
So have a look at this authors website and have a read of the book and see where you and I fit in in this "movement".

Day 45 day of not smoking. Still going strong. I was very edgy today and 45 days ago I would have probably smoked 2 packets of cigerettes with the false belief they were making me feel better. Anyway I did it on my own. I probably drank a few extra cups of tea and ate a few extra cookies but they don't don't give me asthma and stop me from breathing and they certainly help in calming my nerves and taste a whole lot better. Nothing quite like a cup of tea and cookie. I think I will just go and get one now........

Now there is one more recommendation I would like to make and that is the DVD of the movie Parenthood with Uma Thurman. I know that the media said it was a flop but I take no notice of box office takings and media reviews. I personally liked it. I got exhausted just watching this mum and it reminded me of being a mum with children young and still at school and having a very busy and messy and lived in home. I got angry at her husband and I cried with her and with him. I wish everyone with a family like this could be given the same ending as the movie but that is not life and we have to remember that this is just a movie. But personally I think it has enough lessons and issues in it to give you and your partner something to think on. Let me know what you think if you watch it or have seen it.

On a last note I would like to say that my day was WORTHWHILE because I was breathing, I was learning, I was sharing and I was and am being honest.

Peace and love to you all,
Wendy

7 comments:

  1. I'll have to look at the library for that book! Your baby grand-daughter is precious!!!!!

    I send you an email on BUNKO. I wish I could show you in person how to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Uma's movies for the more part. Motherhood was just too much for one day. If every day were like that I feel sure she would have had a nervous breakdown. All of those situations do occur, but not all at once. If they were frequent she would have already dealt with them in a passive way. One could not enjoy one situation in the movie before the next one presented itself, and in the end could only say, “What happened?”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed your post today Wendy. It was so refreshing. 'Blessed Unrest' looks intriguing and I still have that Uma Thurman DVD down as one to watch from the comment you left on my blog. My gosh, hasn't Jade changed, and congratulations BTW on your new grand-daughter. Children are such a treasure. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious grandbaby! I'm currently awaiting my third due in September. Thank you so much for this post, as a fellow blogger, it helps to hear we are making a difference in each others' lives, and I feel the same way.
    Wonderful book, I'm going to check out this author and his site, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parsley - thanks for the email on Bunko

    Anonymous - I actually agree with what you are saying about the movie but it definately got the point across about being super mum and relationships with your partner. But for me watching the life in America was interesting. How they lived and those around them couldn't be so far removed from how I live. I am always watching the background in movies. Thanks for your comment.

    Kerry - yep jade has changed - he is 28 soon - now that just means that I am getting old - I can only suggest the book but even though it is a bit of a heavy read it is not hard to understand - I just have had to read it slower than my normal rush from beginning to end.

    Aine - I somehow think you would enjoy this book and the message this man has to give. I am glad you enjoyed the post.

    Take care,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, I found your site through your brother (I'm a contributor on Writers Rising). I love the quote in your header. I have found writing (and blogging specifically, because of the immediacy and feedback) to be very fulfilling and a way to connect with kindred spirits all over the world. Your little slice of life in Queensland looks lovely. I was in Oz in September. It's my favorite place in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there kbxmas - thanks for stopping by - I have been over to visit your site - gave me a bit of a laugh - I added my name to your followers. I love the way you talk about Australia - even so many of those that actually call this wonderful country home do not appreciate it the way you seem to do - it truly is an amzing part of our AMAZING world. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.