unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Toast To The Volunteer and a huge THANKYOU




THE FAITHFUL FEW

They're in your own community,
Just scattered here and there,
The faithful few who carry on,
In every fete and fair.
They're in the little sewing guilds;
They're on a Red Cross Stand,
Or working for a Church Bazaar,
This faithful little band.
Though others falter, fail and halt,
From Inland to the Coast,
You'll always find the faithful few
Are standing by their post.
Not glamorising for a day, nor putting up a show,
But for a cause they know is right,
They're always on the go.
They're often past the prime of youth,
Their hair all tinged with grey,
But service that they choose to give,
Still keeps them feeling gay.
They seem to have the happy knack
Of making life worth while;
The secret of these faithful few,
Lies 'neath each pleasant smile.
They've crowded out the God of Self;
They've learnt the way to live,
Their joys aren't found in what they get,
But simply, what they give!

By Hope Spencer
Who do I admire? Who do I look up to? Who would I aspire to be more like?

The volunteer - the helper - the giver of time - the giver of hope - the giver of a hand to hold - the giver of a smile - the giver of friendship - the giver of patience - the giver of understanding - the one that stands up for what they believe to be right.

I wonder if the person who fed my son a lunch today at a local charity knows that he made such a difference in my son's life today - I wonder if the young man who listened and gave advice and offered some sort of solution and hope realises just what a difference he made in my son's life today - Probably not.

If you are one of these wonderful helpers in our community or if you fight for a cause or if you donate money or if you help your neighbour or donate your time and skills in any way then I would like you to realise and stop and think and KNOW - REALLY KNOW - that you make a difference.

I admire you and say thankyou to you and take my hat of to you. You are part of The Blessed Unrest.

Peace to you all,

Wendy

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and accolade Wendy. :)

    My mother-in-law is one of the 'faithful few'. She doesn't spout about being Catholic, but she lives what it is to be a Christian. She has helped so many people, including us and she never asks for anything in return. Nothing is ever too much trouble, and if we're ever having any challenges in our lives, she humbly says, "offer it (suffering) up for the holy souls", meaning that someone else may be worse off (living or passed), and they can still benefit from our trials and tribulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here ! Here !

    Great post Sis & Awesome message.

    Maybe we should put charity work on our Bucket lists !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a lovley post! I love givers and being a giver of myself to others. We like to do Random Acts of Kindness and have found it SO rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Wendy. You know it is the best feeling to go and help others. As you know I do volunteer work with Meals on Wheels and there are days that I really do not want to get out of bed in the morning. But you know what the days I do my volunteer work are not one of those days. I have done so much over time with the RSPCA for many years and so many others. It is the best feeling at the end of the day to know you have helped. It is lovely to read your post and it makes it all worth it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of your comments.
    Kerry - your Mother In Law sounds like a lovely woman and you are very lucky to have her in your life.
    Parsley and Pinkyeeyore - keep doing what you do knowing it makes a difference
    Andrew - it is on my Bucket List
    Cheers,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.