unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Open Our Eyes And See: People Seeing Color for the First Time



I just watched a video shared on Facebook and I had to find it on YouTube and share it with you.
 






How much we take for granted - did you see the expressions of wonder and delight and awe on these peoples faces. I love these amazing things about technology that we as humans can invent and offer. Watching just made me smile and shed a little tear of excitement with them. I am thinking very much about my sight and how thankful I am.


Below is a poem that my mother gave me many years ago and I have it in my anthology and I thought of this poem immediately upon watching this video clip.

VISION

I was talking to a lady,
While we waited for a bus,
She spoke of all the beauty,
That was surrounding us.

She started naming flowers,
That were all in full bloom,
And how she loved the fragrance,
Of their delicate perfume.

Then she named each of the birds
As they sang up in the trees,
How she knew just what they were
Was a mystery to me.

And she said how nice the grass smelt
Because of last night's rain,
And wasn't it truly amazing
How no two days are ever the same.

I nodded in agreement,
But I didn't really care,
As I pulled my coat round tighter,
Against the cold chill in the air.

As the bus approached us
The lady turned to me,
And asked "What number bus is this?
I'm blind so cannot see."

I told her what the number was,
And looked at her in awe,
She had no sight,
and I could see
Yet she saw so much more.

I sat with her and thanked her
For opening my eyes for me,
I asked when she had lost her sight,
She said"I've never seen."

We talked throughout the journey
And it was clear to me,
That there are really none so blind
As those who will not see.

by Dee J. Smith 1999

TOMORROW'S CHALLENGE TO MYSELF AND YOU

Open our EYES and SEE....

Cheers,
Wendy



2 comments:

  1. Yes I saw a similar video recently and cried. How much we take for granted. I love your poem it speaks volumes. Thank you Wendy for sharing. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I saw a similar video recently and cried. How much we take for granted. I love your poem it speaks volumes. Thank you Wendy for sharing. 😊

    ReplyDelete

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.