unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Friday, July 15, 2011

All cooked out.....

19

I am all cooked out. Exhausted by food. Feel good though. I got a hold of quite a bit of fresh seasonal produce on Thursday at the markets. Today I have made Pineapple and Zucchini Pickle (curry), Zucchini Pickle, Sweet Mustard Pickle, Apple Chutney, Apple Crumbles in the freezer ready for dessert one cold winter evening and Beetroot bottled ready for salads. Tomorrow I will finish of the beetroot and the sweet mustard pickles and also make a few bottles of Lemon Butter. I will add all of the recipes to my recipe pages in the next few days.

I absolutely love making preserves. I also got given quite a few lemons and I squeezed one of them into an icecube tray and then once they froze I tipped this cubes into a container in the freezer. Each cube is a tablespoon of lemon juice. When I make my mayonaise it uses 2 tablespoons of lemon juice so I don't have to worry if I have a lemon on hand for that.

I also started of a lemon vinegar cleaner as well. I cannot for the life of me remember where I read about this but I have collected the peels of the lemons over the past few days - just the peel and not the white. I put them all in a large glass jar and filled it up to the top with vinegar - just plain white vinegar. I will let it sit for a few weeks and add any more lemon peel as I go. Then I will strain it and fill up spray bottles. This is to be used for cleaning the benchs and with a sprinkle of bi carb on the bath first it will bring up the bath and vanity just beautifully. Great window cleaner as well. I have a fruit bowl with fresh oranges ready for me to eat and I will save this peel and make a orange vinegar cleaner as well.

I am getting a lot better at looking at something and seeing if I can use it up - freeze it - preserve it. I find it fun and interesting. I really want to make myself some strawberry jam so I am on the look out for cheap strawberries now - about 6kg of them so I can make up a years worth of strawberry jam.

It is interesting to note that over the past few weeks or more I keep coming across people saying that I should make things to sell at markets etc. This just seems to come up time and time again when I say that I have made something or show someone something I have made. I don't want to sell it. I just want to make things for myself and my home and for gifts for friends and family. I had one of my homemade grocery bags with me at the markets and the girl said "oh you should make them and sell at the markets" but then I explained to her that then I would have to worry about the perfection of the item and that there was no way I could bring myself to charge what would cover the time and effort to make something. The enjoyment just goes out of it then and it becomes like a job. Well that is how I feel about it anyway and it's not a big deal. It is quite a compliment to think my friends and faimly think what I have cooked or made is something another person would want to pay for. I am just commenting because I have found it interesting that this has been said at least 5 or 6 times over the past few weeks and that whenever a person sees something they like they automatically put a monetary value on it.


All the vegetables sitting overnight with salt sprinkled on them ready to make Sweet Mustard Pickles.
So so yummy with cheese on crackers.

Just a few of the the many jars that went into my pantry today. I didn't do fancy labels for any of these. They are for my store cupboard and not for gifts. I can always pretty a jar up with a piece of fabric and ribbon on the lid if I want to gift any of them. I will give a few of the jars of sweet mustard pickles to a good friend who always gives me back the jar when he is finished so I can give him another jar.

I am of to the movies tomorrow night to see the latest Transformers movie. I am also going into Tiaro tomorrow morning as I saw there was a few garage sales on in the morning. I will go and take a look and see what bargains I can find.

Cheers to you all,
Wendy



No comments:

Post a Comment

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.