unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What's on my mind this past week....

THE ONE - STRAW REVOLUTION by Masanobu Fukuoka

Below is a few quotes from the above book. I really enjoyed this book and even though it is about farming it is also about so much more. I have seen references to this book many times and finally borrowed it from the library. I hope you do as well.

" I believe that if one fathoms deeply one's own neighborhood and the everyday world in which he lives, the greatest of worlds will be revealed."

"Extravagance of desire is the fundamental cause which has led the world into it's present predicament. Fast rather than slow, more rather than less - this flashy "developement" is linked directly to society's impending collapse. It has only served to seperate man from nature. Humanity must stop indulging the desire for material possessions and personal gain and move instead toward spiritual awareness."


".... Similarly, it would be well if people stopped troubling themselves about discovering the "true meaning of life;" we can never know the answers to great spiritual questions, but it's all right not to understand. We have been born and are living on the earth to face directly the reality of living. Living is no more than the result of being born. Whatever it is people eat to live, whatever people think they must eat to live, is nothing more than something they have thought up...."

"... When you no longer want to eat something tasty, you can taste the real flavour of whatever you are eating. It is easy to lay out the simple foods of a natuaral diet on the dining room table, but those who can truly enjoy such a feast are a few." - I think this is so true. We have come to believe in our western world of over indulgance that we are meant to eat all of these fancy dead foods we see prepared on the tv foodie shows. Even pick up the Sunday newspaper and there are recipes for strange fare. If I serve a bowl of brown rice and a bowl of vegs or a bean or lentil stew my friends - well most of them - would just cringe.

"Flavorful foods are not flavorful in themselves. Food is not delicious unless a person thinks it is."

Seems to me that lately I am being drawn to the same theme in books. The next one I read was JAYBER CROW by Wendell Berry. A fiction book with so much thought provoking ideas that it is impossible for me to explain. If you want to read a book that describes the demise of our farming and community spirit then read this book. Read about what we have lost and what so many people out there in the world are trying to recapture.

"The household poultry flocks began to dwindle away. So did the little household dairying enterprises of two to maybe half a dozen cows. The farm wives, who once had come to town with produce, bought their groceries, and gone home with money, now went to the store (maybe in some more distant town) with only money and went home withonly groceries.

The Economy no longer wanted the people of Port William to produce, for instance, eggs. It wanted them to eat eggs without producing them. Or, more properly speaking, it wanted them to buy eggs. It didn't care whether the eggs were eaten or not, so long as they were bought. It didn't care how fresh they were or how good they were, so long as they were bought. Perhaps, so long as they were paid for, The Economy was not much interested even in delivering the eggs."

Made me think of how many - just how many - things are now controlled by the government. We have given so many of our rights up in the false belief that we are compensated far in excess of what we have let out of our control. Not true. We are supposed to be safer for all of this intervention. I disagree. I also think that it is my responsibility to keep myself safe and not someones elses. How can someone else - some other entity - keep me safe when the bottom line of their decisions is money. And lots of it.

Made me think of how we here in my western world seem to just expect that all of the things we have given up control over should be available to us all of the time and at a price we think is resonable with no effort on our part. Funny how we forget that to have the money to purchase any of the many things we could produce ourselves, we work longer and longer hours.

I certainly don't see happy smily people everywhere I go. The happiest people I know are those content with their lot, have simple desires and needs and enjoy what they have. Usually they try and produce at least a little of what they need, be that food or clothing or bread. They start small and gradually add new skills to their lives. Skills that give them back some control and ownership for their lives and how they live.

Thanks for reading,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.