unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HALVE WHAT YOU USE

HALVE WHAT YOU USEWant to save some money and use less resources - HALVE WHAT YOU USE.

Examples:

Use half the washing powder that is recommended - bet you it still works (better still make your own - IF YOU WANT THE BEST RECIPE THAT WORKS  see Down To Earth blog listed in my side bar - I literally only use a tablespoon per load.)

If the cake recipe calls for two eggs - try using one large egg. Works all the time for me. I wouldn't choose a recipe that has more than two or three eggs normally. Why use 4 to 6 eggs in a cake when you can make two cakes. Freeze the other for later or suprise guests.

Half the frozen spinach in my frittata - I usually thaw out a whole box of frozen spinach and add to my frittata. Tonight I used half the box and kept the other half for next time. Was plenty of spinach in there.

If the recipe calls for 500 gr of mince meat - use half and add a can of mashed beans like red kidney beans.

If you are making stir fry with chicken or any other meat - try using half what you usually do and add more vegetables like mushrooms, carrots etc. I make a mean stir fry that everyone loves with just 1 large chicken breast and that feeds four people.

I make a bacon and egg pie that calls for 4 rashers of bacon - I now use only 2 - that is plenty for flavour.

If the recipe calls for 1 cup cheese to be used - can you use 1/2 cup.

What about toothpaste - how many people use twice as much as needed. Use half and it works just the same.

What about your shampoo and conditioner - really take notice and you will find that often we use just to much of each - halve it and see that it works the same.

Get the idea?

It saves so much money - and saves using so many resources buying products again when we could have made them last  twice as long.

That's my simple tip for the day. Can anyone give me further tips on this - is there anything that you halve and get twice as much use out of.

Cheers and Smiles

Wendy

6 comments:

  1. Great post!

    It never occurred to me to use kidney beans instead of all that mince. I'll have to give it a go.

    On the cake making, I make a point of looking for recipes that use as many eggs as poosible. When you get 8 eggs a day and there are only 2 people and one dog it's kind of neccessary.

    I wish I could follow the Half method when it comes to chocolate but for some reason my brain goes for the opposite approach, Double.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh to have too many eggs. I am sure there are times when there are less eggs. Have you thought about bartering or selling those excess eggs for a small amount of money to cover other things you don't produce yourself?

    I love chocolate and have converted over to strong dark chocolate - organic and free trade if possible. It took a while to change my taste buds but now I keep a big block in the fridge and find I only need a chunk and it does me. Learnt the hard way that too much is too much.

    Cheers,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Sis ... very thought provoking !

    :) Bro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy,

    I can't give my eggs away. It seems people have an aversion to duck eggs. It's the taste. I think in the years gone by the marketing men did a very good job steering us down the chicken path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that I have never tried a Duck egg - obviously they work th same in cooking as a chicken egg - ahh well - keep on eating. Bet you if the cupboard was bare a person who turned their nose up now would be begging to eat your duck egg.

    Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea and I must finally get around to trying to make some laundry detergent.

    ReplyDelete

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.