unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Sunday, October 17, 2010

EVERYONE HAS A STORY - EVERYONE !!!!!

Firstly - have a read of the new weekly saying/poem at the top of my blog.........

People are so INTERESTING. It is just that we usually do not take the time to listen, ask and comprehend. Everyone has a story. EVERYONE

So many times in life we miss out on so much knowledge - we lack so much understanding - because we fail to realise that everyone has a story. We seem to think that our lives are the most important. We have suffered the most. We are the ones who have and are struggling. We have no time for other peoples stories. No time to listen - no time for understanding - no time for compassion. Yet we have all the time in the world to judge others. We obviously have all the time in the world to just believe what we are fed through the media. We surely do not have time to investigate and research and truly try and understand a persons story.

Have you ever just sat and watched people. I have this knack of not noticing what is going on around me. I can be in a crowded place and just not notice things happening and going on around me. I would make a lousy detective. I will usually notice and remember a conversation - words spoken - than a persons cloths or colour of their eyes or hair. But still I realise that I know nothing about them.

Before disputing what others say, get the facts.
 There can be a giant gap between what is and what is perceived.


This lesson has come up with me over the past few years. I realised that noone really knows me except for a very special relationship with my husband. Of course he knows my story. He knows of before I met him and obviously is part of my story as long as it has been since we met and started life as a couple. My family members no me - but not everything. My husband is the one who knows me best but even then I can be elusive. But no one knows why I do the things I do - what has happened in my life - why I make the decisions I make - what hurts - what makes me truly happy - the wrongs done to me and my family - or the wrongs I have done to  others - the things that bother me in a deep way - the jobs I have held down - my gifts - my abilities - my preferences - my religious beliefs - my favorite food - my relationships with other family members  - all the books I read - the things that really effect my world view - I think you get the point.

Now they same goes for all the other people in the world out there - I don't know them.

When I look at people lately I try to remember that I don't know their story - how can I judge? It is unfair and very wrong of me to label them and put them in a box so that they neatly fit into a description and make them explainable. Maybe I could find out a bit about them. Maybe that won't happen. But at least I can be aware that just like me they are a complete jigsaw made up of all the things that has happened in their lives and I would have no idea what they have been through and why the live their lives the way they do.

This is so hard to do if you are hooked in - plugged in - to the world view of the media in the society where you live and breath. So many people form the opinions that they have from the news - current affairs report - talk back show - etc etc. I know of very few people that will willingly research and explore and try to discover truths so as to have an informed opinion. I love to change my mind. In the sense that I love to learn. I love to understand something. I allow my learning through reading to evolve. I am truly amazed that one book read will somehow correspond in even just a little way to the next that I read.


Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.
Arthur Schopenhauer

The current book that has just got me spellbound and in awe of my ignorance is a book called PEOPLEQUAKE by Fred Pearce. Well that has turned my views upside down on population. Given me a very different view to the normal doomsdayers that the world is going to self destruct through over population. It has also given me a very interesting history lesson of the world I have lived through over the past 47 years and was fairly ignorant to most things discussed within it's pages. That is just one example.

I have never met a Jew.
I have never met a person from Russia.
I have never been to Vietnam.
I have never been invited or spent time with an Aboriginal family in Australia.
I have never been through an earthquake.
I have never been without water every day of my life.
I have never gone hungry.
I have never ever in my life not had a bed to sleep in.
I have never been without a home.
I have never been pursecuted by the law / government.
I have never met and spoken to a Muslim.
I speak one language - English. I cannot speak or comunicate to another person in their language.


I live in a bubble in Bauple, Qld, Australia.
It is peaceful, plentiful, safe, predictable.
I have a home we are paying of. 
We struggle with bills but we are not destitute.
I have ALL of my immediate family with me and around me. Husband, both parents, three children, 2 grand children.
I can believe in God and not be persucuted. I can go to church if I want. I can stay at home if I want.
I have access to all the food I could possibly need.
I can choose to sleep under the stars and choose to go "Camping".
I have so many choices that I choose to live a simple life. I choose it. That is amazing in inself.

HOW CAN I JUDGE?  HOW CAN I FEAR SOMETHING OR SOMEONE THAT I HAVE NEVER MET?  I know that bad things happen - they have happened in my families life. I know people can be hurtful and very unkind.  I understand that there are people who are fanantics and very zealous about their beliefs. But I just don't want to choose to live in fear.

Lately I have got side tracked and started to make statements that have not sat right with me. I really don't wish to go along that path. I want to choose the opposite direction. The alternative path. Instead of fear I choose peace.

Can I direct you to a post by Katherine. Please read this post. I had started to write this post and then I saw hers yesterday. I asked permission to post the link here and would like for you to read this.


TOLERANCE


Peace and tolerance and love to you all,
Wendy

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Wendy. Yes, people really are quite interesting aren't they? And tolerance is something I think we really need to work on. I've just finished a great book by an Australian author called 'In My Skin', by Katherine Holden. She was a drug addict and became a prostitute to fund her habit. Interestingly, she was a Bachelor of Arts grad. Very well educated, loving family. Her story is made so interesting because of how eloquently it is written at times and other times, the words so affronting. The thing is, I would never have known her story or the story of other addicts and what they go through and what demons they wrestle, if I hadn't read her book. Books, if you don't get the opportunity to meet and get to really know people, are an opportunity to really understand people. That's my opinion anyway. Of course, talking to them is even more interesting. I just wish sometimes we had more time to indulge in the art of conversation.

    Oh...beautiful photo too (is it a lily?) and beautiful verse. Hmmm...just realised, that book I just read kinda reminds me of 'the other side of the desk'. Oh, and the cuppa and book on your garden seat is priceless! Now that's the ultimate in relaxation and contemplation (though somewhere to put my feet up would complete the picture). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry - hope allis great for you in your neck of the woods. I don't know how to spell it but the flower is a "hippyastrum". Well that waswhat I was told by someone the other day. They sit in the ground looking lovely and green and then come out with these flowers once a year. They are bulbs and you can pull them up when they die back and divide them up into more plants. I choose to leave them and let them spread of their own accord and then I get masses of them clumped together. They will eventually spread all the way along that part of the garden. I had a random one just come up in the middle of the paddock so the birds must have somehow moved one of them?

    Thanks for the comment. I am going to read that book. It is now on my list of books to follow up on. I always try at the library first and most times I can get a book through the library. Sounds very interesting.

    Oh the art of conversation - yes it is dieing away. I miss that so much.

    Cheers,Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy,

    Great post! I liked the poem, very thought provoking. I wish they had taught poems like that when I was at school instead of putting us through the torture of Browning and Co.

    Both your post and Katherine's tied in beautifully. We live in an intolerant world and it's becoming more intolerant everyday. I often wonder when it became permissable for us to sit back and judge others when we ourselves are far from perfect. I think the media has a lot to answer for and I don't just mean the news. I'm talking about all those TV shows that we sit in front of every night.

    While reading your post I thought of a movie I'd seen on Friday. The FBI agents in it were trying trying to gather intelligence on some suspected bank robbers and a comment was made that if one of them belonged to a certain religion they could get a warrant. That kind of said it all. We now live in a world where law enforcement can get warrnants on people solely because of their religious beliefs.

    That is tragic and it says very little of us as a species. We really do need to learn what it is like to be on the other side of the desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nevyn - oh that comment in the movie is so wrong isn't it. I am a Christian and one of the hardest things to reconcile is the bad things done in the name of Christianity. I would never do these things that have happened in history but it still sits with people and festers. Not that I am persucuted in my country and where I live but I know it happens.

    I love the saying "Walk a mile in my shoes".

    Cheers,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wendy. Just to clarify, the author is 'Kate Holden' not Katherine Holden, and the title is 'In My Skin'...Memoirs. If you have trouble getting a copy, I'm happy to lend it to you, as I bought it through ABC book shop. I can pass it onto Andrew if you like.

    Cheers...Kerry :)

    ReplyDelete

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.