unashamedly all about me.... Wendy
what I think.... what I feel.... my emotions... my gut feelings... what I eat... what I believe...what beliefs are changing... what I am doing....where I am going... what I am creating...recipes I love.... books I read.... poetry I write....things that rock my boat and interest me....and also the other way around...our conversation together...our learning together...our sharing together... WELCOME

Friday, June 18, 2010

I don't want to go down without a fight.


I have just finished reading a book by Mark Lynas called Six Degrees. I have read one of his other books as well called High Tide. I have put a few links here for an article about Mark in National Geographic as well as links to his write up about his books.

Mark Lynas Books
National Geographic - Mark Lynas


Then immediately after reading this book I finally got the DVD "The Road" out and watched it. Again I posted a link with regard to this movie below. I cannot write a better review that explains this movie any better and wouldn't even try.

The Road Review by Mark Lynas

Now I have had a week to compose myself and my thoughts I would like to share these things with you. I am hoping that you will take the time to investigate these and formulate your own opinion. When I finally read Six Degrees I was floored. I have read many other books on climate change but this one simply got to me. It just bought home to me that humans are similar to a frog put in a pot of water and that water is slowly bought to the boil. The frog doesn't hop out of the pan. We are told daily and we can see daily the things happening to our world either with regard to climate change and also all of the other things we as humans are doing to deplete our world of it's wondeful resources and basically wreck everything we seem to touch. We can see this happening but as such it just seems to be going on and on and not a lot seems to change. It scares me.

Then I watched The Road (watch the extras as well as they are so interesting with regard to the author and his writing and how the movie was made). Now I knew it was going to be heavy. I knew that. But THUMP. It just kicked me in the guts and stopped me in my tracks. Now I know this is just one take on how humans will behave in bad times but I would say that it is a pretty accurate account on what some people would be like. We see this type of human nature all the time after and during natural disasters. It scares me.

So for a few days I put away the books and didn't do much except what makes me feel calmer and more earthed. I made pickles and chutneys and preserves and cooked. Then when I felt ready to think I was led to read other blogs and websites. I have found so many like minded people doing there own thing and trying to make changes - some small time others huge but as discussed in the link I posted yesterday there is a revolution happening. I truly believe that we need more and more and more  and more ..... people to stop burying their heads in the sand and revolt. Just simply revolt against whatever you can and add one thing a day or a week. Lead by example and at least try. I don't want to go down without a fight.

Take a look at the book Blessed Unrest by Paul Hawken. I have written about him before on a previous post. There is unrest. It screams to me from one blog after another and one website and book after another.

I can't believe how ignorant I have been. I knew in my heart different things but it all seems to be gelling together for me. I feel helpless and at the same time hopefull. I feel discouraged but at the same time encouraged. I just know that I believe that things cannot stay the same forever. Whether this be through the earths distruction and climate change or through economic collapse.Things will change and the debate of how quickly is really of no use when the time span is anywhere from 30 to 80 years. The end of the century. In the scheme of things in this world that is truly a blink of the eyes. We blinked and we missed it. I am not trying to be a downer but all the gushing nice things we write about is fine but we have to see the other side of the coin as well. I am not a scientist or anyone other thatn a simply human living on this Earth with family and especially Grand Children who I worry about. I find for the first time in my life I am truly thinking about alternative ways of how society will look as I age and my children and grand children move through this life. I am thinking of how I will survive and how can I prepare. WOW. They didn't even have computers at my school and photography lessons were in black and white. That was just through the 70's.  If this can change so much in my first 40 years I have to be honest in my thoughts that the next 40 can change just as rapidly and not for the good either.

I have an old poster on my wall which I have had since I was about 23 years old. I was drawn to it when I had no idea why and have kept this poster on my walls of each home I have lived in for the past 24 years.

"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisened,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that Money cannot be eaten"
Cree Indian Prophecy

Yours comments are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

Wendy

2 comments:

  1. I do have some opinions on this and I think you know my heart so I'll try to explain.

    I think for so long, people were ignorant on how their advancements would affect the environment. Luckily now there is more awareness and can make better choices.

    I have a faith that tells me God has a plan. I won't go into a bible study but I think it all has a reason. At some point, perhaps the world will be in perilous times and will reach out to God.

    Thank you for the thoughtful post. I always enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Parsley for commenting. Yep thankfully people are becoming more aware and I am one of the blind leading the blind in my own way. I just can't ignore it any more and I can't not be an honest person and not give my views and share what I am learning. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and leaving your comments. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I TRULY APPRECIATE YOU VISITING AND READING MY BLOG AND I GET VERY EXCITED WHEN I READ YOUR COMMENTS. THANKS.